Cute but Toxic Newts

The California Newt lives in California (duh!).  It has a grayish back and an orange underside.  It eats earthworms, bloodworms, crickets, snails, woodlice, and mosquito larvae.

The California Newt’s skin is actually toxic, and very poisonous if eaten.  It’s cousin, the Rough-skinned Newt is also very poisonous.  I learned from my teacher that a person dared somebody to eat one, and the person died after he ate it!  So their poisonous skin is how they protect themselves from predators (humans or animals!).   Here is a crazy video showing how a Bullfrog ate a Rough-skinned Newt but then died, and then the newt escaped back out!

I think newts look really cute.  But at least now I know I shouldn’t lick one if I find one in the wild!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s